Thursday, February 27, 2014

Travel Food Series: AL BAiT (yes, there's no typo!)

Maybe you're from Saudi Arabia. Maybe you stayed in the Middle East for a very long time. Maybe you watched Anthony Bourdain "No Reservations".When the show asked the fans (FANa-tic) to send in their entry for a chance to be with Tony and explore food and culture in your chosen country or city, the winner Danya Alhamrani, a film maker/producer born in North Dakota caught Bourdain's attention. Danya's entry was all about her hometown Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.

On that episode, Al Baik was one of the places they dined. It is a famous fast food chain that sells broasted chicken with much raved garlic sauce. It is Saudi's very own version of "KFC".  I was told that Al Baik  never had franchises and branches were only in Jeddah, Mecca, Medina, Ta'if and Yanbu (wiki said so) and only 2 other branches outside the western region.

 As it was always explained and described to me, chicken is served with overloading fries and bread on foil trays, and garlic sauce that was the famous dip that comes with it. The serving was somewhat for sharing (if you have a small appetite). Considering how big the chicken parts were as it usually comes in 2 or 4 pieces.

There was a buzz coming around those "I-lived-in-Jeddah-and-Al-Baik-was-my-staple-food" kids who made a stop over in KL, saw this sign and almost swore it was the real Al Baik in Malaysia. I thought they made no franchise? I totally pointed out that the chicken mascot was wearing a different hat. The original was wearing a very Abraham Lincoln-ish hat while this one wears a Kopiah. Suddenly they noticed that it was a "T" and not a "K". Same concept but slightly different taste.



On our second day and the top priority of our trip, we met up with our friend who showed us where to find this broasted chicken in Bukit Bintang.


Their menu was pretty much simple. They have shrimp sandwich which is 8 RM ala carte, Shrimp Meal (25 RM), 4 pc chicken (spicy or original) 22 RM and 2 pc chicken 13.50 RM.



Shrimp Meal

Shrimps and batter used were just OK.  I love shrimps anyway :)
 
 Al Bait's  garlic sauce and Cocktail sauce

We ate at Al Bait twice and it's a bit disappointing how they were not consistent with the taste of the sauce. The cocktail sauce was a question mark for me. The garlic sauce was somewhat mayonnaise in texture and was just again, Ok.



You get these two when ordering any of their meal.
 2 pc Chicken Meal. I can say it was yummy!  Chicken is huge and overloaded with fries.


Our bill. Pretty expensive as we spent 67.40 tax not included (943 PHP) for the entire meal. 

I was very fortunate to taste Al Baik chicken after our trip and I was able to compare it. Only that the chicken in Al Baik seems to be smaller (going for real "asian" size now??) and tastier. I'm still trying to look where I saved the pictures I took that night when we brought home Al Baik (straight from Jeddah, Uhuh Uhuh!)

I think what's amazing well for me at least, is that whenever I get to taste and eat something really spectacular, I make my own version or at least try it at home which is appealing to my taste. I was able to make my own version of the broasted chicken and it was yummmerz!

Well, off to a meeting now. 

Happy Eating!

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment