Monday, October 29, 2012

I Cook! : Palapa


 This is not exactly cook. But this is more of  pounding all the ingredients together. I made Palapa for the first time. If you've been around Quiapo and around the muslim area, you will see plastic bottles (similar to the peanut butter) being sold for 100php each. A mixture of Sakurab (some type of onion), ginger and chili mashed up together forming the best ingredient and side dish that would compliment any viand.

Honestly, I've been a sucker for chili sauce, like you know those dried chili then cooked in oil and oh my oh my it goes with everything. When I tasted this years ago It also became part of my staple food =)). I have been doing Maranao dishes for quite some time since it has also become my soul food. 

We had a couple of Sakurab left and I decided to give it a test in making Palapa. I mean it looks easy to do so I gave it a try. It took me 3 hours of cleaning and pounding all the ingredients.

So here's what you need.


Some Sakurab.

BB said this is only planted in Marawi. I was wondering why. I have been searching for a tagalog/english name for this but can't find any.


Red and Green Chili

Some ginger (not in the picture) and Salt.

What to do:

Clean and cut the Sakurab, Chili and Ginger.
I use scissors to cut the leafy part of the sakurab and remove the first skin and clean the "bulb" part. That's what you need. the bulb end.

 Combine Sakurab, green and red (your choice) chilis and ginger(not too much) and POUND POUND POUND!!! until it looks shredded or so.



Add Salt according to taste and POUND POUND POUND.... Great exercise! =)


And here is the finished product. This also becomes an ingredient on all Maranao dishes to add that spicy kick. I love this with scrambled eggs and the Chicken I make.

Happy eating! 

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment